Pause, and really think about that.
If you’re still with us (and haven’t run to the bathroom), let’s get into…
The dirty deets about dairy:
- The main protein in cow’s milk is casein, which accounts for 87% of a cow’s milk protein.
- The problem with casein? Of ALL animal proteins, casein is the one that most consistently and strongly seems to promote cancer.
- Plain and simple: caesin promotes cancer cell growth and at all stages. Not cool, caesin, not cool.
- What about babies you ask? There’s some caesin present in human breast milk but in cow’s milk there is 300% more. Um, ew.
- Caesin is such a strong binder its been used as an ingredient in wood glue. Imagine what that looks like in your intestines.
- Dairy has been found to DOUBLE the risk of prostate cancer.
But what about calcium?!
- Did you know some of the best sources of calcium are from dark, leafy, green vegetables? Think: broccoli, spinach, romain lettuce, kale and cucumbers.
- Other sources of calcium: almonds, oranges and sunflower seeds
Ah, help I’m obsessed with cheese!
- Goat’s cheese is a far better option then cow’s milk products because the natural enzymes are closer to those in humans and thus making it much easier to digest. So, pass the goat cheese please (in moderation).
- Milk: almond, flax, coconut or rice milk. Have you tried them? They are amazing! We even sub almond milk while baking/cooking. Add a splash + some cinnamon to your coffee and you’ll be making Starbucks sweat.
- Coconut yogurt! It exists and it’s ah-maz-ing! Buy it at your local health food store!
The bottom line:
Listen, we get it. You can’t care about everyyything. You’ll never catch me on a visit back home, skipping a few bites of the parmigiano reggiano my dad gets imported from Italy
So, pick your battles, make replacements when you can and indulge in moderation.
How do you feel about dairy? What are some of your favorite dairy substitutes?